Yoga is a form of exercise that promotes a healthy balance in one’s mind and body through the use of breathing and meditation. It is one of the most-popular ways to increase fitness and personal well-being.
If you have always had an interest in yoga, you might want to consider becoming a yoga teacher! In today’s blog post, I offer you a rough guide to the path of learning how to be a yoga teacher. Here is what you need to know:
There are certain qualities and skills that you need to have before you can become a yoga teacher. Here are a few examples of what you need:
- An interest in yoga. I know that sounds obvious, but you need to believe in this form of exercise;
- Training and experience. You cannot teach yoga to others if you do not know it yourself;
- Good level of fitness. Those who practice yoga must be quite fit and be strong and flexible for obvious reasons;
- Good people skills. As a yoga teacher, it is your job to encourage, motivate and help the people that you teach. You must have these skills and apply them to both individuals and groups of people;
- Good communication skills. If you cannot communicate to your students, they will not understand how or why they need to perform certain movements;
- An understanding of business. For the most part, yoga teachers are self-employed. That means they need to have a grasp on how to run a business.
Any reputable business needs to have valid insurance cover. Yoga teachers can get fitness trainer insurance for added peace of mind.
Training and qualifications
To become a good yoga teacher, you must spend at least two years practising yoga with a qualified yoga teacher. You must then get a yoga qualification. There are plenty of training programs that you can go on.
Make sure that the one you choose is registered with the Yoga Alliance. They are a US-based organization which is recognized nationwide.
The Yoga Alliance offers a couple of training program certificates – 200 hours and 500 hours. As you might have guessed, they refer to the amount of time spent learning from a yoga teacher.
Once you have that certification, you can use the acronym “RYT” after your name. It stands for “registered yoga teacher.”
As I mentioned earlier, the majority of yoga teachers are all self-employed. That means you are free to charge what you like for your services. But bear in mind that if you charge too little or too much, you might not have any clients!
Yoga teachers charge per hour and per session, the former perhaps earning them more money. The average price they charge is around $20 for a group session. Private sessions with individuals can be anything between $60 to $100.
Are you unsure what to charge? It’s always a good idea to see what other yoga teachers charge in your area. Good luck with your new venture!