Moving homes can be a very hectic experience. With the numerous items to pack and elements to arrange, it’s no surprise that many of us forget to do many important tasks. However, there are a number of things you can do in advance of your moving day that will make the whole process easier and more efficient. Let’s take a look at 12 of these tasks:
- Renew your prescriptions. It’s easy to forget about looking after yourself when you are busy relocating. Before you move, stock up on any prescriptions you need so you are well prepared.
- Arrange a babysitter for moving day. If you have young children, you might find it helpful to arrange child care while you are occupied with supervising the move and unpacking at the other end.
- Book a day of work on your moving day. Give your employer plenty of notice if you require a day or two off work to supervise the move.
- Arrange for important records to be forwarded. If you are also moving to a new school and/or your child is starting a new school, it is important that your records are sent on to the new establishment.
- Notify important parties of your move. There are many people and businesses that require notification of your change of address. This will include your bank, utility providers, your employer, your child’s school, etc.
- Redirect your mail to your address. You can do this at your local post office or online.
- Plan how you will move your contents. If you require the assistance of a moving company, research and book these services in advance so you have time to shop around for the best quote. If you are using your own transport, clean it out in advance to maximize space.
- Rid your home of unwanted items. If you move all your broken and unwanted items from your old house to your new property, this will cost you time and money. In advance of your moving date, recycle or remove all the items you don’t want to take with you.
- Spare a thought for your furry friends. If you have pets, you will need to organize how and when to transport them to your new home. Packing and unpacking are going to take up a lot of your attention, so it is wise to buy plenty of pet food supplies in advance. You also might find http://www.wormers.co.uk/ helpful for pet health products. Your pet may become distressed from all the commotion and the change in territory so remember to schedule time during packing and unpacking to give them attention.
- Make sure your insurance covers the move. Even when using reputable moving businesses, accidents can happen. Ensure your insurance policy covers damage to your items while moving.
- Look after your important documents. Passports, marriage certificates, etc. should be kept together in a file and transported safely to your new house.
- Be prepared for moving out day. Have a look at this article on seven simple tips for a stress-free moving day.