12 Places To See Before You Die
If you haven’t started working on your travel bucket list yet, here are some ideas to get you started. These 12 locations are some of the world’s most beautiful and fascinating travel destinations.
1. The Pyramids of Giza, Egypt: You don’t have to be a fan of ancient history to appreciate the last standing member of the ancient wonders of the world. These pyramids are an incredible testament to the knowledge and wisdom of ancient Egypt, and they’re just as impressive today as they were 5,000 years ago.
2. Santorini, Greece: Arguably one of the most beautiful islands in the world, Santorini is an absolute must-visit for anyone who loves white sandy beaches, clear blue seas and charming architecture. Travel by boat and you can explore the surrounding islands while getting the best possible views of the stunning scenery.
3. Pompeii, Italy: A visit to Pompeii offers visitors a unique opportunity to visit a town once destroyed by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius, while gaining a unique insight into the day to day lives of normal people in Rome. There’s nowhere in the world quite like it- just make sure you bring comfortable walking shoes as the ground can be very uneven!
4. The Taj Mahal, India: Built in the 17th century, this enormous temple is still one of the most famous architectural feats on earth. No visit to India is complete without a trip to this stunning sight- just be prepared to walk or hire a tuk-tuk, as polluting vehicles are not allowed in its vicinity.
5. The Great Wall Of China: Built over 2,000 years ago, China’s Great Wall is still the only man-made structure visible from space. Bring your camera and plenty of snacks and drinks in your backpack and take a hike along the wall- some stretches are easier to walk than others, but even those without high levels of fitness will be able to manage a few hours! It really is the view of a lifetime.
6. Iguazu Falls, Argentina: One of the new seven wonders of the world, the spectacular Iguazu Falls are located in the Misiones Forest within the Iguazu National Park, at the border between Argentina and Brazil. Walk the trails around the falls for a completely unique, awe-inspiring experience.
7. Great Barrier Reef, Australia: The Great Barrier Reef is the world’s biggest protected marine ecosystem and a beautiful spot for nature-lovers and thrill seekers. Dive in the pristine blue water and come face to face with a vast range of fascinating wildlife.
8. Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania: Not for the faint of heart, Kilimanjaro is an incredible sight to see and a huge challenge to take on if you’re hoping to climb to its peak. There are various routes to choose from, so there should be one that suits your fitness level, and the experience is truly one of a kind.
9. Machu Picchu, Peru: Once home to the ancient Inca civilization, visitors can still visit the incredibly well preserved historic temples and ruins of Machu Picchu. Less adventurous tourists can take the train to the site, but for the full experience we’d recommend hiking the Inca Trail.
10. The Grand Canyon, USA: You don’t necessarily have to veer far from the USA to see some of the world’s most impressive sights. Arizona’s Grand Canyon is just a car journey away, and the sunset over the golden canyon and surrounding desert is just as beautiful as everyone claims.
11. Table Mountain, South Africa: Cape Town is home to the awe-inspiring Table Mountain, which proudly overlooks the buzzing and fascinating city. Take a cable car to the top or get your boots on and hike for spectacular views of the city and surrounding ocean. It really is as flat as it looks, so you can roam around on the mountain top and enjoy a meal before you head back down.
12. Stonehenge, England: This mysterious rock formation has stood in a rural area of England for 5,000 years, and its origin is still up for debate. Book a guided tour to hear the full history of this amazing structure and plan to watch the sun go down over the surrounding fields.