Engineering is a vast industry with hundreds of employment opportunities. If you’ve got a good head for science and logic, it could be the perfect career path for you. The only tricky part is choosing a niche to specialise in. Today, we’re running through some of the most exciting jobs in the engineering industry. What would you choose?
- Renewable energy – The defining engineering project of our lifetime will be the implementation of renewable energy. We’re finally aware of our impact on this planet, and we’re taking drastic steps to change. We’re just at the beginning of this journey, and you can get involved.
- Aerospace development – There are few jobs as exciting as working in aerospace. Every day, you’ll help design and build the planes of the future. There is even the opportunity of working within space exploration.
- Armed forces – The army, navy, and RAF aren’t just about soldiers. They also hire the world’s brightest engineers to build artillery, armed vehicles, and weaponry. It may be something you’ve never thought about doing, but it sure is an exciting branch of engineering.
- Robotics – The future will be built and run by robotics. New robots are already in production to assist every industry. You could be part of the engineering team that designs and builds them.
- Oil rig worker – One of the most lucrative jobs in engineering involves working on an oil rig. You’ll maintain the drilling equipment, and make sure everything works smoothly. You’ll just have to get used to living in offshore accommodation, and commuting via helicopter!
- Computer engineering – Technology is advancing at a phenomenal rate. Computer engineers are the driving force behind the groundbreaking new tech discoveries. You could help build the computers and technology of the future.
- Civil engineering – The world around us has been created and masterminded by civil engineers. Everything from bridges to skyscrapers to railways are conceived by civil engineers. They’re responsible for some of the most ambitious projects on the planet.
- Teaching and lecturing – If you’re looking for something less ‘hands-on’, then take a comfy job at a university! It pays well, and you’ll help shape the best engineers of the future.
- Bio engineering – This strand of engineering is mostly focused on the development of medicine. You’ll be an expert in biology and the human body. There are fascinating developments in this area of engineering, and you could be on the front line.
- Agriculture – Farming and food production is still the world’s biggest and oldest industry. We’re slowly reaching a turning point, where engineering and technology is making new techniques possible. You’ll be at the cutting edge of new machinery and farming techniques.
- Architecture – Planning buildings isn’t just about making a beautiful building. It’s also about understanding the structural integrity and engineering impact of a build. Architects are not just artists, they’re highly skilled engineers.
- Nuclear – The world is divided over the use of nuclear power. However, there is no shortage of jobs in nuclear industries. Within both weaponry and power systems relying on this resource, you can expect a long future.
Have we missed any fantastic careers in engineering? Let us know in the comments below!